Saturday, December 5, 2020

Man, 66, charged over one of Britain’s biggest unsolved double killings when two women slain in ‘Bedsit Murders’

A man has been charged following one of the UK's longest unsolved double killings after two women were slain in a case known as the 'Bedsit Murders'.

David Fuller, 66 and of Heathfield in East Sussex, is due to appear in the dock today over the deaths of Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce in 1987.

Wendy Knell was murdered in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, in 1987.

Caroline Pierce was 20-years-old when she was strangled to death and found in a field in Kent.

Both women were in their 20s when they were sexually assaulted and strangled to death just months apart.

Wendy, 25, was found dead in June 1987 in her flat in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, five months before Caroline Pierce, 20, was found dead in a remote field on Romney Marsh in Kent.

The women were found naked and their keys were missing.

Despite a huge investigation at the time, their killer has evaded justice for more than three decades.

Cold case cops made a dramatic arrest on Thursday.

In a statement, cops said: "Detectives have charged a man with murdering two women from Tunbridge Wells more than 30 years ago.

"David Fuller, aged 66, from Heathfield, East Sussex, was arrested in connection with the deaths of Wendy Knell and Caroline Pierce in 1987.

"He has now been charged with two counts of murder and remanded in custody to appear before Medway Magistrates’ Court."

Assistant Chief Constable Tracey Harman called for anyone with information to come forward.

"While more than three decades have passed since these murders took place, I would urge anyone who has any information - no matter how minor or insignificant it may appear to be - to contact us," the top officer said.

Both young women were living a mile apart in Tunbridge Wells at the time when they were targeted and murdered.

Wendy was found dead in her bedsit on June 23, 1987 after being sexually assaulted, beaten and strangled.

She was left naked on her bed covered by a duvet.

The women were sexually assaulted and strangled to death just months apart.

Officers believed her killer broke in through a faulty back window as there were no signs of forced entry.

Wendy's diary and keys with a distinctive keyring were missing and have never been found.

She had left work at about 5pm the previous day and went home after going to the bank.

After spending the evening at her boyfriend's house, he dropped her home at 11pm and kissed her goodbye on the doorstep but never saw her again.

Officers believe Caroline was killed on November 24, 1987 after she was also sexually assaulted, beaten and strangled.

Her naked body was found three weeks later by a farm worker in the dyke of a remote field on the Romney Marsh - some 40 miles away from her home.

She was last seen at about midnight being taken home by a taxi after a night out with friends.

It is believed she was attacked outside her bedsit after neighbours reported hearing screams.

Caroline's keys with the Buster Browns restaurant fob where she worked were also never recovered.

In 2012 Kent Police revealed it had a full DNA profile of their prime suspect for both murders.

Following the breakthrough, a Kent Police spokesman said: "Families of both victims have been informed of the arrest and are being kept updated."

A 66-year-old man has now been charged with two counts of murder.

Caroline's keys were never found after her death.

Cops carried out extensive investigations after Caroline's body was found in 1987.

Wendy Knell's parents, Pam and Bill, pictured in 2008.

Katrina Pierce, mum of Caroline, with her friend Michael Frost.