Essex boys' killer Jack Whomes freed from prison 23 years after life sentence

Essex boys' killer Jack Whomes freed from prison 23 years after life sentence

Essex boys' killer Jack Whomes, 59, was given three life sentences and a minimum of 22 years when convicted in 1998 of the killing of Tony Tucker, 38, Pat Tate, 37, and Craig Rolfe, 26.

Essex Boys' killer Jack Whomes has been freed from prison after being cleared for release by the Parole Board.

Whomes, 59, was given three life sentences in 1998 and told to serve at least 23 years.



He's now free and has returned to live with his mum after winning a Parole Board hearing, the Mirror understands.

Whomes is understood to be on licence while working as a mechanic and living with his mother in Suffolk.

Jack Whomes is now reportedly back in Suffolk living with mom.

Whomes and his friend Michael Steele, now 76, were found guilty of shooting drug dealers Tony Tucker, 38, Pat Tate, 37, and Craig Rolfe, 26, in a Range Rover in Rettendon, Essex, in 1995.

They were thought to have supplied the ecstasy taken by Leah Betts, 18, who died three weeks earlier.



Whomes’ mom Pam told the Sun on Sunday: “Jack is out and is doing OK and has a good job.”

(L-R) Patrick Tate, Anthony Tucker and Craig Rolfe, who all died in a 1995 triple gangland killing.

Brother John, 58, a retired builder, added: “We are over the moon that Jack is home and with his mum, which is what he has always wanted.

“But we are still fighting to clear Jack’s name, along with Michael Steele."

Whomes, whose tariff was cut to 22 years for his “exemplary behavior”, was cleared to move to open prison in 2019.

The Mirror reported at the end of January how he had been cleared for release while continuing to claim his innocence.

A summary of the decision at the time said: “After considering the circumstances of his offending, the progress made while in custody, and the evidence presented at the hearing, the panel was satisfied that Mr. Whomes was suitable for release.”



It was reported that he'd have to follow strict licence conditions banning him from entering certain areas or contacting relatives of the victims.

Doubts remain on the safety of the convictions and both men still deny involvement in the executions, which became known as the "Essex Boys" murders after a 2000 film of the same name starring Sean Bean.

Whomes is still awaiting a decision by the Criminal Cases Review Commission, expected for later this year.

Steele is still in jail after a Parole Board panel blocked his release or a move to open conditions in 2019.

Retired detective David McKelvey said the suspected villain was linked to a man who has previously been named as the shooter but was never charged.

Mr. McKelvey, who runs private investigation firm TM-Eye, said: “We have done a thorough and detailed investigation which has led us to believe there may have been a miscarriage of justice.

“Compelling new evidence throws the case into doubt and we are appealing for witnesses to come forward," he said.
Essex boys' killer Jack Whomes freed from prison 23 years after life sentence
4/ 5
Oleh