Brutal murderer David Morris who killed three generations of same family dies in prison

Brutal murderer David Morris who killed three generations of same family dies in prison

David Morris, 57, was behind bars for the killing of mom Mandy Power, 34, her 80-year-old mum Doris and Mandy's two little girls Katie, 10, and Emily, eight, in Clydach, south Wales in 1999

The man accused of the brutal Clydach murders has died in prison, The Mirror can reveal.

David Morris, 57, was behind bars for the killing of mum Mandy Power, 34, her 80-year-old mum Doris and Mandy's two little girls Katie, 10, and Emily, eight, in 1999.

It was a crime which shocked the nation when it happened in a quiet suburban street in Clydach, south Wales.

Morris died suddenly at Long Lartin prison in Worcestershire.

At first thought to be a tragic house fire investigators soon realised the full horror of the scene before them.

It was revealed the family had been bludgeoned to death with a metal pole and left to burn in a fire set to seemingly cover up the heinous crime.

One former and two serving South Wales police officers were initially suspected in a sensational love triangle plot but were never charged and local labourer David Morris was later arrested.

Last night it was revealed Mr Morris died suddenly at Long Lartin prison in Worcestershire of a suspected heart attack.

But his family have long since protested his innocence and a campaign was slowly growing to have his convictions overturned.

Mandy Power died with her bed-ridden mother.

Earlier this year South Wales police launch an independent review into the case.

At the time Morris's eldest daughter Janiene and his sister Debra, sat down with The Mirror and pointed to the fact no DNA, fingerprints or eye witnesses have ever been found which put him at the scene.

They argue the prosecution's case has always been based upon circumstantial evidence although juries at two trials have found him guilty.

Doris Dawson was 80 when she was murdered.

Mom-of-three Janiene, 39, from Swansea, said: “I never believed for one minute that my dad was capable of such violence, it simply wasn't the man he was.

“There was just no way that it was ever possible that he would have been able to commit those murders.”

Debra Thomas, 54, a Disabilities support worker, said: “If I could say anything to the family of Mandy Power it would be that we share their pain but want them to realise the real murderers are still walking amongst them,

they are still out there.

“They have been lied to for 20 years, they think the right man is in prison, and he's not.”

The controversial case has divided opinion for two decades and David Morris certainly did not help himself with his behaviour at the time of his conviction.

A small-time crook in his youth he was well known to the police in the former pit village of Clydach, near Swansea.

He told investigators he was having an affair with Mandy Power behind the back of his girlfriend and Mandy's best friend, Mandy Jewell, at the time of the killings.

He also lied about owning a gold chain found at the scene of the crime saying it wasn't his, "on the lives of my children,"but later admitted it was, claiming he left it there after an earlier tryst with Mandy Power.

His alibi on the night of the killings from late on June, 26, to the early hours of June, 27, 1999, has always been unclear.

He says he went for a walk to calm down in the country lanes near Clydach,

after a row with Mandy Jewell in the New Inn pub on the edge of the village, before returning to the flat he shared with her in the early hours.

But while he says Mandy Jewell let him in at about 3am she originally told police Morris had arrived home between 10:30 and 11pm only to then tell the court at his trial she didn not know what time he came home.

Morris was handed four life sentences for the murders in 2002 but in 2005 these were overturned at the Court of Appeal.

However just a year later Morris faced a re-trial and was convicted for a second time.

A bid to take his case to the Court of Appeal was also rejected in 2018 by the Criminal Cases Review Commission.

But Morris was not the first suspect in the case.

Suspicion first fell on Mandy Power's lesbian lover, Alison Lewis, a now retired Welsh rugby star and former Sergeant in South Wales police.

She was arrested in July 2000 alongside her husband Stephen and his twin brother Stuart.

The married couple were arrested on suspicion of murder and Stuart on suspicion of perverting the course of justice.

At the time both Stephen and Stuart were serving police officers in the South Wales force.

Stuart, an Inspector, was actually on duty in the area on the night of the murders and he came under scrutiny because he was the most senior officer to arrive at the scene.

But when he got there stayed for less than 10 minutes and failed to preserve it.

His log book for that night went missing and he also failed to fill in his police pocket book until the two days after the crime.

But detectives could never make a case against the trio.

They were ruled out as suspects in 2001 and have vehemently denied any involvement in the crimes ever since.

But for Morris's supporters the questions about who actually did commit the murders have never gone away.

The case against Morris has long been based on the idea that Morris, drunk and angry after a row in the pub with his girlfriend Mandy Jewell, walked to Mandy Power's house for sex but was rejected and in anger went on a killing spree.

However, despite the lack of forensic evidence linking him to the scene, his supporters point out he may simply not have had the time to carry out the murders which were strangely methodical and even ritualistic.

For example Mandy was washed and placed in the bath after her murder and one of the fires set in the house was done so underneath a picture of Mandy's two little girls suggesting a deep emotional link to the victims which Morris did not have.

The killer also took the time to replace a fuse after one was blown during the attack on Doris which campaigners say does not fit the narrative of a drunken attack fuelled by rage.

South Wales police are currently conducting an independent review into the case saying they hoped the review would help the family of the victims move on and "answer the questions posed by others once and for all".

They revealed a senior independent investigating officer and independent forensic scientist are going to oversee a review of evidence in the investigation.

This followed requests from Morris's legal team and a BBC Wales documentary last year which highlighted two new eyewitness accounts, never heard in court, which alleged the Lewis twins were witnessed near the scene on the night of the murders.

Although Stephen Lewis vigorously denies these claims and insists the eyewitnesses must be mistaken.

Both Alison and Stephen have always insisted they were sleeping at home together that night.

Stuart Lewis has also always maintained he did not see Stephen or Alison that night.

But the documentary also raised questions over the examination of forensic evidence such as the metal pole used in the attack and a bloodied sock believed to have been used as a glove.

It is hoped a re-examination of both could perhaps lead to a DNA profile of the killer using modern forensic techniques.

While the family of David Morris do welcome the idea of the review they say they remain cynical.

Janiene said: “The family are very sceptical of the latest review because we wanted to appoint our own independent forensic expert and that hasn't happened.

“But we and our legal team will follow it very closely in the coming months.

“We have wanted something like this to happen for a very long time and it is very important that South Wales police realise people are watching them closely.

“This has always been a David and Goliath struggle for us but we are not going to go away quietly.

“I would just ask that people look at the facts and decide for themselves rather than coming to snap judgements.

“They have to be careful of blatant lies too, like that my dad beat my mother, he never did, it is simply not true and yet that is simply accepted as fact.

“The thing is he loves children, even before the murders he would leave the room if a story about children being hurt came on the telly, he could not stand it and yet here he was being accused of brutally killing two little girls, it just made no sense then and still doesn't to this day.

“Of course he was no angel when he was younger but it is quite a leap to think he could suddenly kill an entire family."

Although Janiene and her family are also acutely aware of the impact their campaign could have on the family of Mandy Power who are still convinced Morris is the killer.

Last year Mandy Power's former husband Michael Power, the father of her two children, broke his silence to reiterate their stance.

He said: "Both trials ended with the same verdict which we believe as a family was the right decision."

But Janiene said: “If I could speak to Mandy's family directly I would simply say how sorry I am for what they have been put through.

“It is horrendous what happened to their family and their lives afterwards.

“But I would appeal to them to just dig a little deeper into this case and please try and understand the arguments we are trying to make.

“They have gone through the murders, two trials and now the evidence is being re-examined again, so truthfully I can't imagine how hard it must have been for them over the years.”

Brutal murderer David Morris who killed three generations of same family dies in prison
4/ 5